The Office of the Ombuds mission is to ensure that members of UC Merced's diverse community receive fair and equitable treatment and address confines that stand in the way of achieving our highest potential as a community of excellence, respect, and justice.
The ombuds operate under the principles of confidentiality, neutrality, informality and independence. Our goals are to build a conflict intelligent community, encourage human connection through peaceful dialogue, and bring systemic concerns to the organization's attention for resolution.
Specifically, the Office of the Ombuds:
- Advocates for fairness and works to ensure that all members of the university community receive equitable treatment.
- Serves the campus community by helping to resolve complaints by providing information and referrals and making recommendations for constructive change when university policies or procedures generate conflicts or concerns.
- Adheres to professional standards of practice to create an environment where members of the UC Merced community can obtain information, review options and resolve problems.
Who We Serve
All members of the UC Merced community including:
- Undergraduate students
- Graduate students
- Postdoctoral scholars and researchers
- Staff members, including supervisors, managers and administrators
- Faculty members, lecturers and other academic appointees
- Parents of UC Merced students
- Members of the public with a university-related concern
The office is here to help with the informal management of any university-related complaint and/or conflict.